School - Day 1

I'm free! At least until 3:00 this afternoon. The little nippers are back at school this morning, and they seemed happy about it too. They rolled out of bed promptly this morning, jumped in their waiting clothes, ate breakfast, brushed hair and teeth and we were out the door well ahead of our usual school day time. And it's a good thing too, since the traffic at the schools this morning was dreadful.

I knew it would be crazy, but the experience was new for me today too, since both kids moved up to the next school. And just like me, there were literally hundreds of other parents learning their new drop-off route. I think I discovered which way NOT to go! But it's hard to say how things will be moving in a week's time after everyone is familiar with where they are supposed to go.

If we were talking about just one school, it would not be such a big deal, but all of our schools, elementary, intermediate, jr. high, and high school are in the same complex. It's great if you have multiple kids at multiple schools - all except the traffic! It's been my experience to date, that some schools manage the parents in cars better than others. (And there are some REALLY stupid parents in cars!)

This morning I have to take my hat off to the police, and all the rest of the city employees who were out in force directing traffic. I got tickled when I saw first the dog catcher out directing traffic, then the chief of police, then the janitor from the elementary school... Good job guys!