Desk Jobs in a War Zone - Los Angeles Times

Desk Jobs in a War Zone - Los Angeles Times

This article really speaks to an issue close to my heart, and I'm not referring to the adventure job angle. When you read the article, you'll notice a comment right at the beginning about how many of the volunteers are 50-something. THAT's the issue I'm referring to. I receive letters from many people looking for a new start after their kids are grown. I've met many people who are well-qualified, intelligent folk, but they can't find work because they're 50-something.

This is a trend in the states that I never noticed till rejoining the work force in America after years away. By that time I was approaching 40, and it was a major shock to my system to discover that I was the oldest person in the office! My 29 year old boss had never even heard of Carlos Santana, and whenever she hired anyone, she was primarily concerned with "how cute they are." Never was consideration given to a person's track record. It was all about looks and college degrees. I guess I was lucky I'd gotten my job before the "Cute" crew took over! One friend of mine, who was a very capable woman in the HR department lost her job and could not find another in the city of Dallas, though she was well qualified. She was over 50, and overweight, and not "cute." Her answer? She's now a truck driver!

What's the answer to age discrimination in the work-place? One answer is working from home. (Look at me!) And I believe we'll be seeing more and more of it. It makes sense on so many levels, from being environmentally friendly, to being less stressful, to being more cost efficient for the employer. And it's great if you have any entrepreneurial talents. It's given me the freedom I require to be happy. I work a lot, but it's on my own quirky schedule. It fits whatever and wherever I need it to fit. I can take my laptop anywhere and continue to work, and keep in touch with those who work with me.

I don't know if I'd volunteer to work in Iraq right now, but if my family life was different I might. The lady in this LA Times story mentions a difficult to define desire to sign up for another tour. I know that feeling. That's what kept taking me back to the sea. I wish the age issue would go away, but meanwhile, 50-something is a great age to look for a more adventurous type of job.